Using uterine artery embolization (UAE) to treat fibroids is relatively new, but the technique has been used for over 20 years to treat uterine hemorrhage after childbirth. Years of experience has shown that the technique itself is safe and effective.
Primary benefits of choosing UFE to treat your uterine fibroids are:
- No hysterectomy is needed. Hysterectomy is considered major surgery, so althought it is performed routinely and frequently, there is always the possibility of risks and complications with any major surgery. In addition, there are side effects related to losing your uterus, including hormonal imbalance, reduction of sexual desire and response, and early menopause.
- Short hospital stay. With UFE, you only need to stay in the hospital overnight, instead of the two or three days that are required when you have a hysterectomy or myomectomy.
- Relief of symptoms. Over the past ten years that UFE has been performed, it has been found that the success rate for symptom relief is between 85% to 90%. In the remaining 10% - 15%, more drastic treatment may be necessary, but wouldn't you like to start with a minor procedure that is likely to work, than jump into major surgery?
- No regrowth. Studies tracking women who have had UFE performed during the past 10 years have found that none of the embolized fibroids regrew.
- Quick recovery. Most women are comfortable returning to work after an average of 10 days of recovery.